Mortality rose throughout the cold winter of of 1349, which debunks the whole fleas on rats theory, as fleas would not have survived the frigid temperatures. Black rat skeletons have been found at many burial sites, but not enough to make a case.
That doesn't mean I have to start liking the creatures though. I mean, I don't want them in kitchen; or trying on my clothes for that matter. Here a few things you can do to keep them out of your house:
- First, inspect the house for a genuine rat control problem (droppings etc.)
- Then, find out how the rats are getting inside the building, and seal those places up.
- Now it's time to start trapping
- Set the traps on the rat thoroughfares, where there are droppings, and some trails in the insulation.
- Check them every day, and get rid of all dead trapped rats
- Finally, disinfect the area; rat droppings and remains aren't exactly sanitary